Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chicken killing day on the farm

9 June 2011

Well, this past Saturday we turned the last batch of junior feed eaters into future dinners.  I know for some of you that eating meat is a no-no, but since God gave it to us to eat, and it does taste good, and I can raise it in a healthy manner, I'm gonna continue to eat chicken.  It's another way we can work towards a self-sustaining lifestyle.  Most states have no regulations prohibiting the butchering of meat for personal use so take advantage of it.  The conditions you will slaughter in will be 10 times more sanitary than the government approved conditions.

Another benefit of the slaughter day is:  fellowship.  I know it sounds a little sordid, but there are usually three of us involved, all family members, and we have a great time together practicing an art that has been around for as long as man has.

I intend to do a video on the operation at some point because I want to show how disconnected the birds are from the act of killing them.  As I remove birds from the pen, those that remain just go back to eating, even though they are in plain view of the cones!  I love my chickens and they have the purpose of providing my family with eggs and meat and entertainment, but they are not extremely bright.  They do what they do very well which is eat, lay eggs, and make meat - all with a generally happy demeanor.  What else could a self-sustaining farmer ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment